Come see how butcher block counter tops can invite heat and performance into your property. With correct care, they could be a stunning addition to your property for years to come back.
Through the years we’ve seen extra householders turning to wooden counter tops for his or her kitchens, islands, and different areas. Nonetheless, a few of us have puzzled if wooden counters are a good suggestion. Are they protected for meals? Will they maintain as much as water?
The excellent news is that butcher block counter tops can do all of it, so long as they’re correctly sealed and effectively maintained. And the very best half, the wealthy wooden tones they add create a lot atmosphere and basic model.
You recognize me, I like to make properties really feel heat and comfortable, and wooden counters are an ideal method to do it! In our lately completed basement bar, we determined so as to add heat and a comfortable, gentle end with these stunning butcher block counter tops.
Butcher block isn’t only for one design aesthetic, both. Sure, it suits with conventional and farmhouse model. However even trendy model can use the heat of wooden and nonetheless really feel smooth.
For those who’d prefer to examine different varieties of countertop supplies, right here’s why I like danby marble, alternate options to marble, and all about quartz counter tops. I additionally speak about different supplies, together with laminate, strong floor, and concrete on this put up about kinds of countertop edges.
What Is Butcher Block?
Butcher block, additionally referred to as butcher’s block, is a wooden floor that’s fabricated from slender strips of wooden glued collectively and sanded to create one thick, clean slab. It’s a sturdy countertop materials, in addition to a horny one.
Typically when folks seek advice from wooden counter tops, they’re actually speaking about butcher block. Many wooden counter tops are maple, though oak, walnut, cherry, hickory, and teak are different fashionable choices.
You’ll be able to stain butcher block counter tops to any shade you want, or you’ll be able to merely seal them their pure shade. For those who’ll be staining, bear in mind to pattern a small part first, as a result of woods deal with stains and colours otherwise.
Right here’s how I examined stain colours on our wooden floors.
Edge Grain Vs Finish Grain
Butcher block counter tops will be edge grain or finish grain. Edge grain might be what you’re most used to seeing. It’s the place the lengths of wooden are glued collectively, so that you see lengthy, slender strips of wooden.
For finish grain butcher block, wooden strips are stacked and glued collectively vertically, in order that from the highest, you see the top of every strip. It creates the look of a checkerboard.
Finish grain is extra porous, so it requires extra frequent oiling and conditioning than edge grain. Because of this, it isn’t your best option for counter tops until you wish to do a number of upkeep. Nonetheless, it is a superb alternative for reducing boards, as a result of it simple on blades and can hold your knives sharper for longer.
The place to Use Butcher Block Counter tops
Wooden counter tops could be a stupendous addition to any residence, in nearly any area. It isn’t advisable to be used in loos as a result of it isn’t essentially the most moisture-resistant choice. Nonetheless, there are such a lot of different methods to make use of butcher block that you simply received’t wish to cease with only one!
- Kitchen Counter tops and Kitchen Island – Butcher block would work across the perimeter, however should you’re not able to redo your entire counters, think about simply redoing your island. Your counter tops don’t all need to match, and a wooden counter in your island makes a fantastic work floor!
- Laundry room – Having an additional floor in a laundry room could be a sport changer. Whereas there’s water in laundry rooms, they usually don’t have the identical degree of standing moisture that loos do, so butcher block could be wonderful with correct care.
- Constructed-in bookshelves – A wooden prime would add heat to the highest of base cabinetry as a part of built-in bookshelves. They might look beautiful in any area and would positively make it look customized.
- Constructed-in bar – Actually, any area you want a countertop – like a built-in bar – could be a fantastic place for butcher block. Particularly up in opposition to the entire glass bottles, the nice and cozy wooden tone would offer good distinction.
- Workplace desk or craft desk – You should buy butcher block counters at shops like Dwelling Depot and Lowes. IKEA sells it together with separate desk legs. You’ll be able to piece them collectively to create a chunk that matches your area and your wants completely.
- Slicing boards – Don’t neglect to seize a number of reducing boards! Whether or not you might have butcher block counter tops or not, it doesn’t damage to have additional boards available to guard your surfaces from knives and scorching pans.
Ending Butcher Block
There are a number of choices for ending wooden counter tops, together with staining them a shade of your alternative, sealing them with a sturdy end like a polyurethane, selecting a matte or shiny end, or just conditioning them with mineral oil.
Ending with mineral oil requires essentially the most repairs, because you’ll must reapply month-to-month because the wooden dries out. Nonetheless, it’s additionally the simplest to do, because you don’t must sand something right down to refinish the floor.
In the long run, it comes right down to what you need, how you propose to make use of your floor, and the way a lot work you’re prepared to place into sustaining your counter tops. Do your analysis and select the choice that’s finest for you and what you want.
Learn how to Keep Wooden Counter tops
Some folks draw back from butcher block due to its fame for being excessive upkeep. Whereas it’s true that it does require some additional care, there’s nothing to be afraid of. With the correct care, your butcher block counter tops can keep stunning for years to come back.
Each day Care
In some ways, butcher block is like granite or marble. It’s not arduous to take care of, however wooden is absorbant and may stain, so it’s vital to deal with small mishaps in a well timed method.
You should utilize a nylon scraper or plastic spatula to evenly scrape the floor free from something that has dried in place. To wipe the floor, use a material dampened with water and delicate dishwashing cleaning soap.
Keep in mind to by no means saturate wooden counter tops with water. In the event that they do develop into overly moist, ensure that to dry them fully as quickly as attainable.
Some stains are certain to occur, regardless of how vigilant you’re. Listed below are a few different methods you’ll be able to strive.
For contemporary stains, strive sprinkling them with baking soda. Rub it in then depart it to soak up the stain for a couple of minutes. Dampen a material or sponge with delicate dish cleaning soap or undiluted vinegar, and use it to wash on the stain.
An alternative choice is to sprinkle some coarse salt on the stain, then rub it with half a lemon. The stain could disappear fully, but when it doesn’t you’ll be able to depart it for a few days, then strive going over it with dish cleaning soap or vinegar.
Don’t strive utilizing this lemon trick on marble counter tops, as a result of they’ll etch. Right here’s my favourite cleaner for marble counter tops.
If all else fails, the good factor about wooden counter tops, identical to with wooden floors, is that you would be able to sand them evenly with a high-grit sandpaper to take away stains. Do not forget that you’ll need to refinish your counters after sanding.
Execs and Cons of Butcher Block Counter tops
I get it, counter tops could be a massive determination. Right here are some things to think about when you’re fascinated with wooden counters on your residence.
- Provides heat – The wooden tones of butcher block add pretty heat tones to any area, creating a comfortable, inviting ambiance.
- Simple to customise – You’ll be able to create simply the look you might have envisioned by selecting the kind of wooden, shade, and end you need.
- May be refinished – For those who determine to alter your look down the street, you’ll be able to sand down your end and alter your stain shade to match your new design.
- Low value – In comparison with different countertop choices, butcher block prices much less per sq. foot.
- DIY set up – Skilled DIYers can set up wooden counter tops themselves, utilizing instruments they in all probability have available. Professional set up additionally prices lower than different alternate options.
- Simple to wash – Each day cleansing is straightforward with a humid clear and dish cleaning soap. It doesn’t require any fancy or costly cleaners.
- Lengthy lifespan – With correct care, butcher block counters can last as long as 20 years. Laminate counter tops usually must be changed between 10 and 15 years.
- Not waterproof – Like all wooden product, butcher block could be very delicate to water. They are often put in round a sink if they’re sealed very effectively, re-sealed month-to-month, and dried straight away after they develop into moist. Wooden counters can darken, develop mildew, increase and warp if they’re uncovered to moisture. Because of this, they’re not advisable for loos.
- Dent simply – Wooden is of course comfortable, so it isn’t a shock that butcher block counter tops can develop into dinged, dented, and scratched. Some folks embrace the worn-in look, and if that’s you then go for it! In any other case, ensure that to make use of a reducing board when utilizing a knife.
- Can burn – The identical tip applies when dealing with scorching pots and pans. They’ll burn and even crack wooden counters, so it’s finest to make use of a trivet or scorching pad beneath to guard the floor.
- Can increase and contract – Similar to wooden floors, butcher block can increase in heat temperatures and contract when it’s cool. Its measurement can change by as a lot as 1/8-inch from summer season to winter. You’ll must plan forward by leaving some wiggle room, in any other case your stunning counter tops may warp and even crack.
On the lookout for extra inspiration for group, adorning and design? Don’t miss my Amazon storefront, which is a extremely curated store at all times up to date with objects we actually love and luxuriate in, together with my favourite provides, equipment and a lot extra.
Incessantly Requested Questions
No, scorching pots and pans can burn wooden counters and even trigger it to crack. It’s finest to make use of a trivet or scorching pad to guard the floor from warmth.
Butcher block counters are sanitary as soon as they’re correctly sealed. If left unsealed, they are going to take up germs and micro organism and shall be unsafe for meals preparation. Correctly sealed, they’re completely protected and sanitary for meals prep. They do must be resealed recurrently.
Many sorts of woods are used for butcher block, together with maple, oak, cherry, hickory, teak, bamboo, at extra. For those who’re having customized counter tops made, you’ll be able to probably select any sort of wooden you need, so long as you’re prepared to pay the fee.
Our cabinetry and counter tops have been customized due to the structure of this area, however butcher block counter tops are surprisingly reasonably priced! Listed below are two nice choices.